Saturday, November 10, 2012

2012 State Marching Band Championship

Today the MHS Marching Band headed off to Glendale to play in the State Championships.  The booster club arranged to have a Spirit Bus that carried parenst to the see the performance, since it was in Glendale.  The band wanted a sea of purple and gold.  Danni invited Denson, so I went with him on the Spirit Bus.  When we were within 5 miles of the Championship venue, the Spirit Bus collided with the othef MHS bus carrying 1/2 the band students.  These student made up the drum line, pit, and color guard.  The buses had to pull over and were unable to continue to take us the venue.  With a lot of hard work and great bus drivers from other buses, everyone made it in time. YAY!  Now onto the Competition.
Window from the Crash
MHS Marching Band entering the field
The band performed a great show and wowed the judges, especially when they marched blindfolded.  I wondered if the accident had shaken some of the students, but they did a great job  I remember listening as they announced the winners from last to first.  Perry was MHS biggest competition and they came in 3rd place.  I was stunned and had hope that MHS could pull it off.  I remember when the judges announced that the second place winner was from Scottsdale, AZ. At that point, I realized that MESA HIGH MARCHING BAND won the state championship.  Mesa High has won the championship for the 2nd time in 4 years.  I couldn't have been prouder of the kids in the band and those who worked so hard to make it happen.  I will never forget that experience and the feelings that I felt that day.  My kids are the 2012 Division 2 State Marching Band Champions!!!!
Let the Celebration begin!
2012 State Marching Band Champions
Victory is Sweet

No comments: