Monday, September 20, 2010

Memorable Monday
Ham Radio

Jim was able to use his ham radio with the Varsity Scouts this past weekend during their On-Target communication. It was a great opportunity for him and the scouts to see the ham radio in use. Jim got his ham radio license soon after we were married. My dad has had his license for many years and is always encouraging family members to get their license, and Jim took up the offer. Jim and my dad converse often on the ham radio when they travel long distances. My dad has a ham radio check in the net every Saturday and Jim participates once a quarter. Jim is often busy on Saturdays and sometimes forgets, but my dad is awesome and keeps in on the roster.


My dad has been very active with the ham radio and has made many friends and had some great experiences because he is a ham radio operator. My dad participated in the Olympic torch run and helped with the communication during that time. One day while traveling to Utah, my dad was chatting with some guys coming back from Utah. My sisters and I were so thrilled about this conversation and encouraged my dad to stop by the Glenn Canyon Dam to meet these guys. My dad was nice and took the time to meet these guys. I don't remember much of the conversation, but it was a memorable drive to Utah. I love that Jim and my dad use the ham radio and I hope that some other family members will continue that legacy of having owning a ham radio license.

No comments: