Monday, July 25, 2011

Memorable Monday
This Is My Country

This Is My Country

I'm so glad that I live in the United States.  There are so many freedoms that I enjoy because of my citizenship of this great country.  

My birthday is on the Fourth of July and have felt very patriotic because of that fact.  I love spending time with my family and friends on that special day.  One of the fondest memories was watching the fireworks.  We would light our on fireworks and then watch the big ones from our porch.  When we move to AZ, I would attend a huge country concert and watch fireworks from there.  I remember going with Jim once.  One year, I remember climbing Squaw Peak and watching them from there.  I don't remember hiking back in the dark.  I love taking my kids to see the fireworks.  Recently the City of Mesa is always the citizens to have their own fireworks, so that's fun to watch the neighborhood fireworks and light our own sparklers.

I love that we get to vote for our leaders.  I remember when I was in high school, we were allowed to have a mock election and choose between Reagan and Carter.  I remember voting for Reagan and he won.  I've glad that I learned how important it was to vote back then.  I have voted at every presidential election since then.  I voted early the year Emily was born, since she was due around election time.  She decided to come on Election Day and we always joked with the nurses that we would name her after the new first lady.  It's an honor to vote and we should always remember that we do have a say who leads this country.

I've known several people who have chosen to serve our country.  It's such a great sacrifice for them to do and it protects our rights as American citizens.  I wish that we took the opportunity to honor them on more occasions that Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.  I love to see the military equipment, both on land and see.  I love to see the flags waving in honor of those in the service.  I love to watch the soldiers reunited with their wives and children.  It's always sad to hear of the stories of those who did not come back.  In AZ, we remember Pat Tillman and  Lori Piestewa who served our country and lost their lives.   Every year, I love to see the healing fields either in person or on TV and remember those who lost their lives in 9/11 and in the wars just following that attack.    Serving in the military is a volunteer service and one that should be honored.   There are several members in our family that served for our country - James Pace (Mormon Battalion), Grandpa Wall, Ty Reber, Matthew Barney, and many more that I'm unaware of .  My Grandpa Burbidge wanted to serve, but was unable to due to the fact he had flat feet.  We should always take time to remember those who served  to protect our country.

I love living in the United States and I'm proud to be an American!!!!!

No comments: