Monday, July 18, 2011

Memorable Monday
Choices

What are some choices in your life that affected where you are now?
I've made a lot of important choices that I've shaped my life.  I wanted to write about one small choice that I made in 5th grade that has affected my life. 

When I was in 5th grade, a junior high music teacher came to our school to introduce some musical instruments that we could play in junior high.  I spotted the violin and flute and wanted to try them both to see which one I would like to play.  I choose the violin, because I was concerned about blowing into an instrument.  I told my parents of my decision and we made plans for me to play the violin. I played the violin for 3 years at Mt. Jordan Middle School and 4 years at Jordan High School.  I performed in musicals in and out of school.  I performed in competitions with the orchestra, with a quartet, with a duet, and as a solo.   My senior year, I played the violin, voila, and bass.   I performed during my high school graduation.   Music shaped my junior high and high school years.

Getting involved in orchestra helped me make good friends and gave me the opportunity to get involved in school, which helped me gain self-confidence.  I was able to travel the west with the orchestra and see some cool sites.   I have a love for music because of my years in orchestra. Music helped me with math, which help me decide what I wanted out of college.

One small choice in elementary school shaped my life.  

No comments: