Monday, August 27, 2012

Memorable Monday
The Power of Music

Challenge - What music do you like?  How has music influenced you?

My first introduction to music was singing in sacrament meeting and primary.  "I Am a Child of God" and "Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God" were some of my favorite songs as a youth.  These songs touched my heart and helped me gain a testimony of who I am.  I loved singing camp songs and feeling the spirit when I sang those songs.

I remember listening to records on my parents old record player.  We usually listened to audio cassettes, but the novality of the record player was too much to resist.  I remember buying my first audio tape - Duran Duran.  I usually listened to music on the radio, since I didn't own many tapes or records.  In high school, my friend and her mom took me to see  Manneheim Steamroller in concert.  I've loved listening to them ever since. When I moved to Arizona, I discovered that I loved Country Music.  I loved listening to Randy Travis, Clint Black, and John Michael Montgomery.

I played a lot of musical instruments.  In elementary school, I played the audio-harp and recorder during music class.   In junior high school, I learned to play the violin.  As a senior, I learned to play the viola, upright bass, and the electric bass.  I remember going to the symphony during school field trips.  Some of my favorite pieces are: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart, Brandenburg Concerto #3 by Bach, and Reinhold Gliere's Russian Sailor's Dance.

I didn't realize how powerful music truly was until Angela learned to speak and communicate through music.  She spoke lyrics until she learned to find words of her own to use.  She was in kindergarten when she was able to use her own words.  Lyrics touch her heart and they often bring tears to her eyes, especially when she sings about Baby Jesus. She has a tender heart and truly listens to the lyrics.  I sometimes struggle to listen to the lyrics because I concentrate on the music itself.

My greatest joy now is listening to my kids perform in band concerts, choir concerts, piano recitals, and orchestra concerts.  I love hearing about their experiences in music.  I hope that one day they can reflect on how music has affected their life.

No comments: