Monday, October 12, 2015

Memorable Monday
Mr. Buys and Confidence


Gary Rex Buys ("Best Friend") age 72, passed away peacefully at his home, October 6, 2015, after a short illness.  He was born October 21, 1942, to Rex and Ada LaVern Stone Buys, the first of three children including Harvey and Patricia Buys Jones.  Gary spent a great deal of his youth in Heber City, Utah, with his grandparents, who influenced his work ethics and his love for botany and nature. He graduated from Granger High School and then served his country for three years in the U.S. Army, with one year in Vietnam. Later, he graduated from The University of Utah with a degree in music education.  Gary taught in the Jordan School District for 16 years where he enjoyed conducting the jazz bands and orchestras for the school musicals. He also worked for many years as a garden consultant at Western Garden.  Gary married Sonja Rae Schorr on April 5, 1963, and they had one beloved son, Robert Gary Buys. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple on September 11, 1996. Gary was preceded in death by his father, mother, brother, and son. He is survived by his wife of 52 years; seven grandchildren; one great-grandchild; his sister, and her husband David, and their son, Patrick.

Mr. Buys was the music teacher at Jordan High school for all 4 of my years there.  He taught all the bands and orchestra.  When he played with us in the band room, he played his soprano sax.  I was a very shy girl in high school, especially my freshman year.  He encouraged me to be a better violin player which increased my confidence.

We had a very small orchestra, and Mr. Buys wanted every violin player to strength and grow musically.  We were never competed to see who was the best violin.  He switched it up so every violin player had the chance to play first violin.   I played some songs in 2nd violin and in the same concert played other songs in 1st violin.  During my senior year, I learned to play the viola and the bass.  He was encouraged me and helped me transition from the different instruments.  My confidence grew so much in high school that I performed a solo for Solo Ensemble to be judged.  I don't remember how I placed, but I was so proud of myself for going out of my comfort zone and playing in front of judges.  I owe Mr. Buys so much for being patient with me and giving me the confidence that I needed.

That confidence has benefited  me throughout the years outside of music world.  I have confidence in the things that I do.  The lessons that I learned in orchestra has helped me in the real world.  Thank you Mr. Buys

No comments: