Friday, May 7, 2010

Visiting UT Temples

Jim and I went to Utah for a couple of days. We were able to visit 4 temples between breakfast and lunch. The Salt Lake Valley is blessed to have so many temples close by.

The Draper Temple is so beautiful as it sits up on the hillside with an awesome view of the Salt Lake Valley. As a youth, I grew up in Sandy which is next to Draper and was thrilled to hear the news that the church was builting a temple there. It was a beautiful drive up the hillside to see the temple and as we headed down the hillside, I could see the Jordan River and Oquirrh Mountain temple in the valley below.

The Jordan River Temple is the temple I visited during my youth years. I watched as the temple was built and dedicated. For many years, I went there to do Baptisms for the Dead. I wanted to get married in that temple, but moved down to Arizona. I was able to do a session when Jim and I came up for Jim's missionary reunion. It's an amazing temple and I'm also thrilled to see it again.

Next, we visited the Oquirrh Mountain Temple which is close to where Jim used to live when he was younger. It also had some great views of the Salt Lake Valley and the Watash Mountains. The open house was just last year and we made some plans to view the temple at that time, but changed our minds and stayed in Arizona. It's a beautiful temple.

We toured the Salt Lake temple and the church building surrounding temple square. We visited the conference center and toured the top of the building. We ate lunch at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and then visited the atrium on top of the building for a great view of the temple. We visited the new Family History Library and the new Desert Book store across the street from temple square, where we met President Uchtdorf. It even snowed while we were on the temple grounds.

The flowers at temple square were in full bloom and gorgeous to view. I just love tulips and they were everywhere on the temple grounds.

No comments: