Thursday, July 8, 2010

Swim Lessons

Angela and Emily both took swim lessons this summer at Taylor. They really senjoy wimming and going to their favorite pool for swim lessons was a highlight for them.



Angela has never passed a swim class for various reasons and I think her disability in language may be part of the reason. So, I wasn't really sure which swim class Angela should be in. I know that in the past, the instructors will place the child in the class that he/she belongs to after the first day if he/she is registered in the wrong class. I put Angela and Emily in the same class, hoping that Angela will help Emily adjust to swim lessons and move up a class if she needed to. After watching the girls for several sessions, it was obvious that Angela was in the wrong class. I should have talked to the instructor about moving her up, but I secretly enjoyed watching them swim in the same class. When Angela received her report at the end of swim lessons, she passed this class and the class above her. Good Job Ang!

Emily was very scared to get her face wet, but after a couple of sessions of swim lessons she would dunk her head in the water a by herself a lot. She struggled with swimming and floating, but I was thrilled to watch her become more comfortable being in the water. She even went into the deep end and would dunk her head underwater while holding on to the side. At the end of the class, Emily received her report and the instructor feels that she should repeat this swim class again. I'm so proud of you Emily!

No comments: