Monday, June 13, 2011

Memorable Monday
122 Degrees


June is such a hot month with temperatures well over 100 degrees.  One summer in June of 1990, the temperature in Phoenix reached 122 degree.  To this day, this record still holds.  I remember that I was working that day at Bonanza and my friend's shift was over.  Johnny usually would ride to and from school and was planning to ride home in the excessive heat.  My boss, Bob, told Johnny that it was too hot for him to ride his bike home and after him a ride home.  I'll never forget that sweet gesture on that HOT day.  It was a reminder that I work for a good company.  The airport had to shut down for a several hours due to the heat.  The instrumennts have never been tested under that extreme temperature, so they could rely on the instruments.  I can't belive that I lived in AZ on the hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix.




"The average temperature in Phoenix in June and July respectively are 103 and 105 degrees.  Hot yes, but not unexpected.  However, June 26th, 1990 was extraordinarily different.  How different?  It was nothing less than the hottest day ever in Phoenix, a whopping, sweltering 122 degrees.  122 degrees.  122 degrees of burning, unrelenting sun the likes here never before had seen.  Could you fry an egg on a sidewalk?  Doubtful.  But those in Phoenix who survived that day wear their fortitude of record heat like a badge of honor.  It was a couragous act for all concerned."




No comments: