Monday, January 30, 2012

Memorable Monday
"To Do My Duty to God"

I attended an Eagle Board of Review today.  I was apart of deciding whether or not this boy earned his Eagle.  I learned a lot about scouts from my dad.  When I was 12 years old, my dad was the scoutmaster in our ward. He asked all of his kids to write in their journal about what it means to do your "Duty to God".  It was a term that the boy scouts used and I didn't understand why his daughters had to write about that in the journal, but I did it anyway.  I recently found that entry in my journal and wrote it down word for word.  

"To do my duty to god means to practice your religion.  To do your duty means to 1- Do what you should do 2- Respect Others (show) 3- Finish the job you have been asked to do. And honor your parents.  On Nov. 21, I got baptized 25 times after we had breakfast.  Nov. 17 we went to the Dedation to the Jordan River temple.  One day in the week I was nominated for Monier of the Month in 7th grade.
I am doing my duty because my father wants me to do this"

It was so fun to read that entry and look back and see what I thought back then.  I didn't really understand that you don't need to be a scout to fulfill your Duty to God.   I thought about what fulfilling my "Duty to God" means to me today.  I know that I has responsibilities as a member of the Church and it is my duty to faithfully fulfill those responsibilities.  I know that I need to respect and love others.  As I think about what it means to fulfill my "Duty to God" today, I realize that it didn't differ from what I thought as a 12 year old.  It is our responsibility to do our Duty to God.

No comments: