Monday, January 23, 2012

Memorable Monday
Seminary

The church had their "Commemorating 100 Years of Seminary" broadcast last night.  My kids went to this fireside to celebrate seminary.

"The seminary program started in 1912 with 1 teahcer and 70 students.  We learn in the Book of Mormon that 'by small and simple things are great thing brough to pass; ... and  by very small means the Lord ... bringieth about the salvation of many souls' (Alma 37:6-7).  Truly, great things have come from that small beginning in 1912.  For example, tonight there are 300 times that original 70 people here in the Conference Center, and that is just a small fraction of the hundreds of thousands of people watching this broadcast throughout the world.

The most important 'great thins' that have resulted from that humble beginning 100 years ago aren't the size of the program or the number of buildings and teachers, but most important are the great things' that have happened in the lives of millions of students over the years as they have been willing to do some small things.  Small things like attending class and studying the scriptures daily and then living eh principles of the gospel in their daily lives.  As they have done small things. great things have been brought to pass in their lives  They have come closer to our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, and have been richly blessed in countless ways."

Seminary Building
Seminary was a huge part of my life.  It's where I read and learned about the scriptures.  I took early morning my senior high so that I could take more classes.  I attended seminary during school hour for my freshman, sophomore, and junior years.  I remember waking across the street to attend seminary.  I recently returned to see what happened to my high school and it's now a fancy movie theater that looks like the old Jordan High.  The seminary building was still standing.  I hope that what I learned in seminary will keep me standing, when the world around me changes.

No comments: