Monday, June 25, 2012

Memorable Monday
Kino

I took the girls to swim lessons today.  They are taking them at Kino with their cousins.  After the swim lessons, we head on over to the school where they offer free lunch.  As I walked on campus to the cafeteria, I was reminded of the year that I spent there as a student teacher and a substitute teacher.  

Kino Junior High
I student taught with Georgia Howardell, an amazing math teacher.  She taught me a great deal about teaching, more than I learned at ASU.  She always taught with music in the background which took some getting used to, but after awhile didn't bother me unless it was turned off.  She taught me that there are many different ways to teach math.  The kids loved Mrs. Howardell and so did I.  After a semester of student teaching, I graduated from ASU, got married, and returned to Kino to substitute teach for Mrs. Holmberg.  She was going to have a 3 month maternity leave and we arranged through the district that I would substitute for her during that time period.  Substitute Teaching is much different than Student Teaching since I was the teacher for those students.  When Mrs. Homberg returned to Kino, I substituted a couple more times for some other teachers.  I almost spent a whole year at Kino and the memories flooded in when I went there for lunch with my girls.

No comments: