Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Jury Duty

I was selected to sit on a jury for the Maricopa Count Supreme Court.  I've never served on a jury before, so I didn't know what to expect.  I went to court for 6 days, 2 of which were for jury selection.  The trial lasted 3 more days and we deliberated for 2  days.   I learned a lot about the jury process and how that side of the trial worked.  I don't like to talk much about the case because it was hard to convict someone of a crime if though the evidence was there.  I remember sitting in the courtroom actively listening and watching all that took place.  I realized how important my role was in the case and I should not avoid being a juror at all costs.  I remember when we sat in deliberation, how we listened to everyone's thoughts on the case.  Everyone had a say, not just those with strong opinions.  We had to work together to come to an agreement.  I wish that more decisions were solved that way.  I realized that I had a voice and I used it during deliberation.  It was a great lesson that we all need to do our part to fulfill our civic duty.

On the way to the Court, I would see this Christmas tree and ice rink.
  It opened after my jury service

After I completed my jury service



No comments: