Thursday, August 20, 2020

Memorable Monday
Aunt Geri


Today was my Aunt Geri's funeral.  We were able to watch it via Zoom.  Her three daughters spoke at the funeral and shared memories of their mom.  I remembered Sheri, Kathy, and Brenda from my youth.  I really looked up to them and enjoyed their remarks.

Aunt Geri was so fun to be around.  She seemed to be at the center of most conversations at the Shaw family reunions that I attended.  She was also very nice to my mom and our family after my Grandma died.  It was hard to lose my Grandma Shaw and then feeling that we no longer belonged to the Shaw family hurt.   The merge of the Shaw and Burbidges was never complete and was very apparent to us after my Grandma died.  Roy and Geri always made us feel loved and important.  They still treated us like family when others did not.  They are our favorite aunt and uncle from the Shaw side because of it.  

In 2006, we had a family reunion in Salt Lake City.  We stayed at Steve's house and Roy and Geri visited with us while we were there.  It was fun to see them and share stories and memories with them.  Roy and Geri also came to my mom's burial and expressed their love to me.  They gave my dad a $100 bill which he never cashed.  

No comments: