Sunday, April 27, 2008

Local schools serves communities

A couple of weeks ago, Angela's school sponsored a "Reading Under the Stars" program. It was a night where families could go and listen to stories and poems. Every child that attended received a free book, with an opportunity to win books later. My children came home with 8 free books. They had a book fair prior to the evening and I bought several books. My kids came home so excited to read. It was a great school program to promote reading and provide reading materials. It wasn't fancy, but I enjoyed the evening. The Cat in the Hat made a special appearance with "thing one" and "thing two".
A day later, Porter had their carnival. So many people helped to make it a success. It was truly a community event. The scouts helped out with the carnival as well. Jim helped run a bouncy ride for 4 hours plus he set up and cleaned up. He had a great time talking and interacting with the kids. I had an opportunity to work with people that I didn't know and it was a great experience. I helped out with the snow cone machine for a couple of hours. It was a messy job with the syrup. It squirted everywhere, not just where I wanted it. The snow cones were a big hit, which kept me pretty busy. The band played a few songs and Josh participated. I sat in the front row and I think that embarrassed Josh. Oh well, that's what moms do. It was a great community event to be involved with. I was really busy plus my camera was out of batteries so I didn't get any pictures. It was just nice to be involved and talk to the members of my community.
Schools are instrumental in getting the community involved in special events. It is so awesome to see the community come together. There are awesome people who work tirelessly to put together these events. I thank them for their hard work. Their are awesome people who volunteer at the event just to serve the community. I thank them too. My family benefited from these two school/community events.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love the reading nights. It helps to re-new my kids' excitement in reading. The free books are fun too.

leesaloo2 said...

Wow, Tam! I always wanted to do a reading night. How cool! I wish our school did something that cool!