Monday, February 22, 2010

Memorable Monday
Oakley Church House

My sister called me this past week and told me to check my email. She sent me a link to YouTube that showed a diner being transported to Oakley, UT on a big truck from Rhode Island. During this video, we could see the front and back of the church house where my Grandma and Grandpa Wall lived for several years. The diner now sits behind that church house, which is now the Oakley City Town Hall. It was such a fun video and took me back to fond memories of our visits there. My sister has a knack for finding hidden treasures. Thanks Lisa!
Here is a picture of the Oakley Town Hall which used to be
my grandparents house.
Here is the Diner that is behind the "Old Church House",
that's what we call it my Grandparents' home.

    Here is my family in front of my Grandparent's house, the "Old Church House"
  1. I remember visiting my grandparents for a short time before going outside to play. The church house didn't have much yard, but there was a park and rodeo grounds just across the street. We could play on the rodeo grounds for hours and it was an awesome playground for our family. Oakley is a small town, so most of the time we had the rodeo grounds all to ourselves.
  2. There was a parade that went up my Grandparent's street, and the bear from Grizzly Adams was in the parade. I don't remember what the occasion was, but I remember seeing that bear and felt that I had meet someone famous.
  3. Check out the rodeo grounds in the background.

  4. I remember playing upstairs in the classrooms which were converted into guest bedrooms. I think there were 4 bedrooms, 3 of which were used for the grandchildren to play and sleep in. I remember hanging out in one room and watching the rodeo from the bedroom. Since we were in the second floor, we had a great view of the rodeo. We loved playing and sleeping the bedrooms, especially since we knew they were classrooms once before.
  5. My Grandpa Wall was a carpenter and stored lots of wood in his house. My Grandma Wall was really sick and he worked at home to be close to her. The smell of fresh cut wood reminds me of the time we would visit Grandma and Grandpa Wall.
  6. Here is a desk that my Grandpa Wall made - I have one just like it in my hallway.

    We had some fond memories when we visited Oakley and it was such a big part of my childhood. I'll never forget visiting my Grandparents and seeing the "Old Church House" is just a symbol of how much I enjoyed those visits.

No comments: