Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Cousin

On Friday my cousin Sean Burbidge passed away. He was just a year younger than I. I remember one summer when he spent some time with our family. It was the most adventurous summer I ever had. We would ride bikes and play in a field near our house. It's seemed we were never home. We thought Sean was so cool and wanted to hang out with him. Those are the childhood memories I have of him. Our family moved to Arizona and I didn't keep in contact with him. He dad, Gary, moved to AZ for a short time and we would talk about him and feel connected again for a short time. Gary and his wife moved away after a year or so. My mom has kept in contact and keeps us all connected. We were sorry to hear about Sean's death and wish we all could attend the funeral to support Gary, my mother's brother. My parents are leaving tommorrow to attend the funeral and I wish I could go with them. My sister and I are the only ones in our family unable to attend. We will be thinking of Sean and his parents on Thursday. Cousins are so cool, even if you've known them for such a short time.

On Sunday I went to church and felt the Spirit very strong in all the meetings. It was such a comfort to have the gospel in my life. We have been talking about the Plan of Salvation the past two weeks in Relief Society. It has been such a blessing to know of our Heavenly Father's plan and know that we can see loved ones again and know what the plan is after our physical death. I was young when I lost both my Grandmas and my Grandpa died when my mom was very young. The Plan of Salvation is a wonderful blessing in my life and it gives me great comfort knowing that I will see and learn more about my loved ones that passed away too young. Joseph Smith said "The great plan of salvation is a theme which ought to occupy our strict attention, and be regarded as one of heaven's best gifts to mankind"

No comments: