Monday, April 11, 2011

Memorable Monday
Graduation Tests

My kids are taking their AIMS tests this week.  AIMS (Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards) is given to students from 3rd - 8th grade and again in 10th grade.  All students must pass the 10th grade AIMS tests to graduate from high school.  Before the AIMS test, students from the Mesa School District just needed to the take the required to curriculum to graduate.

I went to Jordan High School in the '80s and we were required to take different tests plus the required curriculum to graduate.  One required test was the listening test.  We needed to listen to the story told over the PA system and then answer questions on the paper given to us.  It was the stupidest test that I ever took - a listening test to graduate??  One day I was asked to come to the counselor's office during my senior year.  The counselor told me that I was in danger of not graduating because there was a test that I didn't pass. I thought that I passed all required tests and was confused and nervous that I wouldn't be able to graduate.  As the counselor and I talked and looked over the records, we realized that it was me who was in danger, it was my friend Tammy Watts who was.  I was relived that I met the requirements to graduate and I hope Tammy was glad to find out that she needed to pass another test before it was too late to graduate.

No comments: