Monday, July 29, 2013

Memorable Monday
Instrument Change

Josh was asked to play the sousaphone in marching band this season.  He plays the clarinet and the sousaphone is a brass instrument which is totally different that a woodwind instrument.   Josh is thrilled for this opportunity.

I remember my senior year that I switched from playing the violin to the viola.  Our only viola player switched to the bass since we didn't have one.  We have an extremely small orchestra.  I was really nervous to be the only viola player, especially since the viola uses a different clef than the violin.  I remember writing the notes in because I never could get the clef right.  I also played the bass in Dixieland Band.  I loved playing the viola and I received one from my parents after graduation.  Learning to play the viola helped me grown and develop musically.  I hope switching from a sousaphone from clarinet in marching band will provide the same growth for Josh.  He plans on playing the bass clarinet in Honor's Band.
My beautiful viola

No comments: