Monday, November 10, 2014

Memorable Monday
Berlin Wall

25 years ago on Sunday, the Berlin Wall fell and the East Germans were allowed to head west.  I remember in high school learning about East Germany and West Germany and they were 2 different countries.  I remember watching Night Crossing about East Germans escaping by using a hot air balloon.  I remember hearing President Uchtdorf as he and his family fled East Germany.  I couldn't imagine living in a country where I couldn't leave.  Two years after I graduated from high school, I watched as the Berlin Wall fell overnight.  The whole world seemed shocked and pleased as we watched it happen.  The communist government fell in East German and soon afterwards in fell in the Soviet Union.  The cold war was over.  East Germany and West Germany is just one country now - Germany.  My kids will learn about East / West Germany from their history book, while I watched it happen.  This is one historical moment that I will remember.  

No comments: