Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Guardianship

Today, the courts granted guardianship of Angela to Jim and I.  I couldn't be happier.  It wasn't an easy process.  It took me a long time to decide to seek for guardianship.  I knew that it was what was best, but I didn't want to have to go through the courts.  But, after several months of debating, praying, attending classes, listening to friends, praying again, reading documents regarding Angela, talking with Jim, and praying again; Jim and I decided to move forward in seeking guardianship.  We first looked for a doctor that would sign off on the paperwork.  Then I filled out the massive amount of paperwork and planned a day to go to the courthouse.  Jim and I went to the courthouse and filed the paperwork together since we are looking into guardianship together.  I got a little teary-eyed as I signed the papers to start the process.  It was becoming real.  

Angela had to get a lawyer and he met with her in our home.  He seemed to agree that guardianship was the best.  Then, we needed to wait for a court investigator.  Just a week before the hearing, she came to our home for a visit.  She was really nice and also agreed with us that guardianship would be best.  After even more paperwork was handed in and training completed, all we needed was for the judge to agree that guardianship was needed and that we were the best ones to take care of her.

We met with the judge for just 15 minutes.  I answered some questions from the lawyer and then the judge granted us guardianship.  We went over the reports that we would need to fill out now, and in the future.  I hated the whole process, but now I have a say in my daughter's life.  She needs that extra help and now she can get it.

To celebrate, we had breakfast at Village Inn.  It was really yummy and lucky for us, it was Wednesday and we went home with free pie.  It was fun to spend the morning with Angela.  April 25th is now known as Guardianship Day.  We will celebrate it and remember that date is when our yearly report is due.

No comments: