Thursday, August 21, 2008

Computer Crash

Our computer crashed a couple of days ago. I'm writing this post by using my husband's school laptop. He is taking a couple of weeks off school, so I'm able to use his laptop to connect online. We completely lost everything that was on our hard drive. Luckily for us, we have 90% of the documents and pictures we have on an external drive that is separate from our computer. That information was not lost and I'm grateful for that. When we bought our first digital camera, Jim didn't want to fill the hard drive with pictures, so we purchased a drive just to hold those pictures. Eventually, Jim decided to hold all documents on that drive and just use the computer's hard drive for software programs. I'm so glad that we moved our documents into the external drive. There were some information that was on the computer's hard drive that we lost, but we can replace that or do without that information. It was an important lesson that we learned to store our important data separate from the computer. I want to have another backup in case we have a problem with our external drive. We will need to get a new computer and start over with the software programs. I hope to get the computer soon, because we use the computer for so many different reasons, including accessing information that we have stored there. It's sad that we depend so much on the computer, but it's awesome technology.

3 comments:

TF said...

That's a bummer...I would seriously be in trouble if our computer crashed!

It was great to see Dani tonight! I am so glad she is gonna tap with me another year!

Unknown said...

That happened to us back in April and I cried. Fortunately a guy at Tabs work saved most of our stuff. But I definitely learned my lesson about backing things up.

Ball Family said...

So sorry. We are so reliant on our computers aren't we. I'm glad you had most of your stuff backed up.