Monday, May 18, 2009

Memorable Monday
Earning Bachelor's Degrees

Both Jim and I are ASU Alumni and watching him graduate this week reminded me of the time that both Jim and I earned our Bachelor's degrees and the feelings we felt on those days. I graduated from ASU in December of 1994 from the college of education. Jim and I were starting to date seriously while I was student teaching. Jim came with my parents to my convocation which made me more excited and nervous. I sat with the other graduates and though about Jim most of the time. Soon, it was my time to cross the platform and shake hands with some of my professors and be recognized for my hard work. I remembered feeling such a great accomplishment as I accomplished a goal since I had during my youth. The best part of the night though was driving home with Jim. The very next day, I attended the university commencement. I remember that day a little more clearly because Jim didn't come. Funny how that works. Jim proposed to me in January and we were married in March.
A couple of years after I graduated, Jim earned his Bachelor's degree. Jim served a two year mission in Philadelphia which put him a couple years behind me. Five months before Jim graduated, Josh was born and his company hired him as a full-time computer programmer. Jim graduated with honors from the college of business. It was so awesome to attend his convocation and commencement to honor his achievements. It was fun for both of us to graduate at ASU and we often saw each other in the institute building, or in the same institute class.

No comments: