Monday, July 20, 2009

Memorable Monday
Girls' Camp

My sister and her girls are getting ready for Girl's Camp. I want to hide in their suitcase and go with them. I have such fond memories of Girl's Camp in my teenage years. I've never been back but would sure love it.

When I went to Girl's Camp the first year, I was so excited to go camping without my family. We slept in tents and moved to a different location each year. The first year we went near Tooele, UT. One evening, the older girls took us on a snipe hunt. I was so excited and searched for a good 20 minutes and didn't find anything. After 20 minutes, the gag was up when the leaders told us we needed to stay closer to camp. When we arrived back, we saw police cars at camp. There was excitement close by in another camp and the leaders wanted us to stay close by. Those were the highlights from my first year.

I don't remember much of my second year, except we had the best camp director ever. After our long hike, we know Sis. Adams was there starting a huge water fight. That helps us get through the hikes. Sis. Adams was so much fun and was the source of many pranks. She started some, but more often that not, the pranks were on her. She was such a great sport. She was released before my 4th year. Camp was never the same. Several years later, She died in a freak hiking accident. We love her so much and I felt grateful to have known her.

My third year was a great year. Our hike was on the back of Timpanogos. Since the those in third year take a longer hike, we were the only ones to make it to the glacier. I remember how awesome if felt to arrive there. We stopped there for lunch and to play in the snow. Bishop's night was always a highlight too. That was a neat time to feel the spirit that Girl's Camp had to offer. I remember feeling the Spirit so strong and bearing my testimony each year.

My fourth year was my last year at camp. Our stake only did four years of camp. The stake tried to start a 5th, but it didn't succeed. Our fourth year hike was an overnight hike. We hiked to our campsite and had several hours of light left. So, we left our stuff and went for a exploration hike and found a small lake or pond. We played and had a great time. We got lost on the way back to our campsite, but found it about an hour later. I enjoyed my fourth year and sad that it was my last year of camp.

No comments: