Monday, July 27, 2009

Memorable Monday
Encourgaing Music Teachers

Josh was so excited to start band camp last week. Band Camp is designed for students entering 7th grade through those students entering 10th grade. Josh came home the first day discouraged because the music was difficult and he didn't know all the notes. He told me that he was faking playing and it wasn't fun anymore and he wanted to quit. On Wednesday, I let Josh stay home from band camp and talked with his teacher after camp was over for the day. He was very encouraging to Josh and told him that he didn't except him to know how to play all the music. Josh listened and took his advice and continue with band camp. It was an awesome experience to see the interaction between Josh and his band teacher. Josh is a great clarinet player who just needs time to learn how to play those intricate notes. When he's heading into 10th grade, he will be playing those songs with ease. He is excited to play when school starts.

I played violin in junior high and high school. I wasn't the strongest violinist in the orchestra of 12-15 members. There were times I wanted to give up because I didn't play as well as the other students. My parents arranged for me to have private lessons for a time. I practiced hard and followed the advice she gave me. She was a encouraging teacher and I am so grateful that I had lessons with her. During orchestra one day, another violinist made a comment that my playing had improved. I owe it to all the practice I did for the lesson and the pieces I learned from orchestra. I'm glad that I kept on playing through high school and didn't give up during those years.

No comments: