Monday, July 13, 2009

Memorable Monday
Swim Lessons

Angela and Emily started swim lessons this week. It's always fun to watch the kids learn to swim. They are doing a great job and participating.

I remember when I first put Josh and Dani in swim lessons. Josh was 3 years old and Dani was only 2. Josh was in a swim class with his cousin. I noticed that he was playing more than practicing swimming skills, but isn't playing learning? They were having a great time in their swim class. I put Dani in the toddler class where the child teams up with mom. Dani hated being in the water with me and wanted to be in the same class as her cousin. She would cry and fight me during class time. I talked to office staff and they let her join Josh's class. I didn't realize children had to 3 years old to be in that class. The staff didn't enforce that rule either. Dani had a great time after that and started to enjoy swim lessons. At the end of two weeks, all the instructors had the kids in their class jump off the diving board. I thought for sure that the younger kids would be excluded from this activity, but I was wrong, My little daughter who wasn't even 3 was asked to jump off the diving board. I watched the instructor help her jump into the water as another instructor one was in the water ready to catch her. She did a great job and after watching Dani I wasn't as nervous when it was Josh's turn. When Josh jumped, with a lot of help from the instructor, he didn't land in the instructor's outreached hands. The instructor had to swim quickly to reach him. That incident scared Josh for several years. I took the picture hoping that I could see the instructor catch Josh, but you can see that he didn't.
Dani had to be in the same class as Brittany. She insisted in her own little way.

I took these pictures hoping that I could see the instructor catch Josh, but you can see that he didn't.

1 comment:

Bren's Life said...

Hey Stranger! I haven't talked to you in awhile. I love your old pictures at the pool..
I didn't put my kids in any swim lessons all summer. Bad mom!
Good for you doing it.