Monday, January 19, 2009

Memorable Monday
Football

Everyone in AZ is talking the Cardinals going to the Superbowl. I watched the last few minutes on TV, I know that I shouldn't have but I couldn't help myself. It reminded me of the times I loved watching NFL Football and faithfully followed the teams.

I became a huge fan of football in college. I would watch the NFL and college football games on TV and knew who played for each team. At work, we would have a football challenge and I loved participating and watching the games to see who would win. When I married Jim, I got him involved in the sport of watching football. When the Super Bowl came to Tempe AZ, we went and volunteer to help out and the NFL Experience. It was an event held a couple of days before the game to give the community a chance to be an NFL star. It was such an awesome experience to be apart of the Super Bowl that year, especially since it was played at ASU. I was on Cloud 9 that night.

One day in Sacrament Meeting, our Bishop urged us to not to watch games on TV. I decided that I needed to follow the counsel of the Bishop. I stopped watching NFL football games on Sunday, except for just a few minutes yesterday. I will have to record the Super Bowl. I don't follow the NFL teams anymore, since most of their games are on Sunday. I don't really miss it either. I can always watch college football since it's on Saturdays. I learned a valuable lesson about Obedience. Following the counsel of our leaders is not always easy, but worth it.

1 comment:

leesaloo2 said...

Our Young men's President and maybe Elders will probably have little radios or pocket tvs so I doubt our ward will be as good. The only problem with your idea is that everyone will either be dancing on the ceiling or bummed so you will probably know the score before you even see the game.