Friday, March 27, 2009

3rd grade field trip


I accompanied Angela and her 2nd/3rd grade class to the Desert Botanical Garden. I went last year and wanted to go again this year. We learned about the life-cycle of the Agave, Saguaro Cactus, and the Cactus Wren. The tour guide was great with the class. The students were detectives as they learned all about desert life. They use microscopes and wrote down their findings in a notebook. The highlights of the trip were the butterfly exhibit and the blown-glass statues all over the garden. It was beautiful and I wanted to stay longer to see the exhibits on my own.


The kids loved the butterfly exhibit. It was awesome! The colors of the butterflies were amazing and made for really good pictures. I could have stayed in that exhibit all day taking pictures, but Angela's class was on a time limit. I would love to go again on my own time.


Our tour guide showed us some of the blown glass exhibits as we were leaving the garden. The blown glass exhibit was scattered throughout the gardens which made it more enjoyable. When you turned around the corner, you would be surprised how the glass sculptures were arranged around the desert plant life. He mentioned that there were a lot more that we were unable to see and encouraged us to come again to see it all. This part of the exhibit was every one's favorite part.

1 comment:

Chyrisse Ballard said...

Can't believe I lived there for 13 years and never went. It's beautiful and loved the blown glass. It looks like easter eggs.