Monday, August 10, 2009

Memorable Monday
Return to Porter

We had "Meet the Teacher" today at the local elementary school. We met Dani's teacher first. We knew Dani's teacher from last year and enjoyed chatting with her. Dani had a group of friends there and they chatted up a storm. We left Dani in her classroom while we met Angela's teacher. Angela is returning to Porter this year and will in the special ed program at the school. Each school in the district has a special ed program and the program Angela needs is at our local school. I couldn't be happier that Dani and Angela get to go to school together, at least for one year.When I was walking to Angela's classroom, I remember the last time I was at Porter talking to Angela's teacher. While Angela was in kindergarten, she received a major evaluation from the school psychologist. She receives one every three years to see if she qualifies for the special ed program. After the evaluation, I met with the psychologist and her teacher and they informed me of the results. After hearing the results, they strongly suggested that she enter a special ed program with a qualified special ed teacher and a speech pathologist. I really wanted Angela to finish her kindergarten year at Porter, but to get in the program I had to jump fast and enroll her. I remembered Angela's last day at Porter. I picked her up from school in tears and cried the rest of the day. Since I had two other kids ahead of Angela, I knew what Angela would miss out on at Porter. I had a hard time that day and it broke my heart to pull her out of Porter. On Monday, I took Angela to her new school with a smile on my face and ready to embrace what the program had to offer her. I'm so glad that I took the time to cry that day. Ever since that day, I've never look back at what Angela missed out only what she has gained. The Special Ed program that Angela is in has been the perfect match for her. She has had amazing teachers that have helped her along the way.
1st Kindergarten teacher
2nd kindergarten teacher

I so glad that Angela is returning to Porter and is still in the Special Ed program.

1 comment:

Ball Family said...

How fun for your girls to get to be at school together. Caleb only went to Porter for 2 years but he really enjoyed it and made some great friends. Angela is such a sweet girl. I know Rachael loved teaching her in Primary. I hope your kids have a great school year.