Monday, August 24, 2009

Memorable Monday
Water Skiing

Josh went water skiing on his latest boy scout campout. They didn't find the water skis, so they pulled a tube behind the boat and had a blast. Josh had a great time and had great stories to tell.
I remember when I was Josh's age and went water skiing for the first time with the youth in my ward. We went to East Canyon State Park and camped over a couple of nights. We would water ski and play in the water during the day. Our Bishop had a boat and we borrowed another one boat to pull around the water toys. We even had a big hot dog tube that we pulled around behind the boat. I remember that I was so scared to try to water ski , but finally after a lot of peer pressure, I tried. I didn't do very well, but was proud of myself that I tried. Every year our ward went to the same location and I tried to water ski. Every time I tried, I got closer and closer to getting up on the ski's. Finally, one time I got up, but the shock of getting up and not knowing what to do next was too much for me so I fell back into the water. It was a lot of fun trying and I'm glad that I had that experience.

When I moved to AZ, I often went with the Young Adults to Canyon Lake. I learned how to knee board and did very well. I really liked that sport compared to water skiing. On one occasion, I went to the lake with the young adults in our ward to go water skiing. I had just recovered from a broken arm and told by my doctor to take it easy for several more weeks. I told myself that I would be careful and just go for a boat ride. Right! I ended up on a boat with some boys who didn't like it when the girls just went on a boat ride. That's almost a dare so I took my turn knee boarding and had a great time. That was very careless of me and shouldn't have given in to the peer pressure, but there were boys on the boat. What's a girl to do?

1 comment:

White Family said...

How fun! I love the lake. I completely understand the knee boarding against doctor's orders too. There are so many scary things I did in college because a boy I liked was around, that I just think back and cringe. The crazy things girls will do to impress! It sounds like Josh had an excellent time. Your kids are so wonderful. You are such a great example for me. I love reading all the updates on your beautiful family. Tell Angela I said hi. I really miss her!