Monday, August 17, 2009

Memorable Monday
Riding on the Bus

My sister has asked me to watch her daughter in the afternoon. Kenzie will be taking the bus home to my house after morning kindergarten.

I'm reminded of the time that I was in kindergarten and rode the bus home for the very first. I was very nervous to ride the bus and way to shy to ask for help. My mom took me to school in the morning and explained that I was to ride the bus home from school. I got on the bus at school but wasn't sure where to get off or what to do next, so I just sat on the bus. I missed my bus stop and several stops after that. Actually, I didn't get off the bus. I stayed on the bus until the bus driver finished his route and noticed that I didn't get off. Luckily for me, we lived in a small town and he knew where I was to get off. I was probably too shy to talk to him and tell him my address and where I should have gotten off. My mom was very anxious when I didn't get off at the bus stop. She had to pile 4 younger children in the car to school to see if I missed the bus, my youngest brother was a preemie at the time. There was no sign of me at the school since I was still on the bus. She went home and waited for me. Soon I got off the bus and came home. My mom said that I acted if nothing ever happened. Of course, I didn't know the full story til later and all the commotion I caused.


I have another bus story that took place when I was a mother. It's not as dramatic as a story as when I was younger, but for me a much more anxious time. My daughter started pre-school when she was two months shy of 3 yrs. old. She attended preschool at Keller Elementary, which has horrible parking, and was provided transportation. She was scared to ride the bus the first day, so I drove her and had her come home on the bus. Since she is young and in special-ed, the bus drops her off at my house. The next day and a few months after that, she would cry when I put her on the bus. Several times, I wanted to call the transportation office and cancel the bus. Angela and I stuck it out until the day she ran to the bus ready to go to school.

No comments: