Monday, June 29, 2009

Memorable Monday
Camping in Utah

On Monday, I was camping up on the rim with my family. I wanted to post my memories even though I'm away camping, actually I'm just writing this post at home a few days after my trip and posting it on Monday. These Memorable Mondays are bringing back great memories of years past.

I was thinking about when my family went camping when I was a kid. We lived in Sandy Utah at the time and would drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon to a campsite called Spruces. We went to the exact campsite numerous times and it soon became our favorite spot. We camped on the edge of the campground with a creek a few feet from our campsite. We would hike down a few feet to store our water, soda, and watermelon in the creek to keep it cool. I miss that when we camp in AZ. We quickly found our favorite hikes around the campsite, collected our favorite rocks, and rode our bikes around the campground. I have fond memories of camping at Spruces Campground.
Here is a picture of the Spruces campsite and the creek that
runs through the Big Cottonwood Canyon.

My dad bought a "Spring Bar" tent, which was the latest craze in tents in the 80's. It was a great tent and we loved it. We were so excited because it advertised that one person could put up the tent. We reminded my dad of that often when we camped so we didn't have to put up the tent. I remember one night when the tent fell down on me while we were lying down getting ready to sleep. I told my dad that the tent was falling, but he didn't believe me at first. It was a freaky one time event that's fun to remember. I still loved to sleep in that tent. My sister and her family inherited the tent and it's so fun to remember the good times when we camp with the Clawsons.

Here is a picture of the tent a few years ago during a Family Camp out.

No comments: