Monday, June 22, 2009

Memorable Monday
Grandpa Wall

My dad was in Utah during Father's Day. His side of the family had a reunion the day before Father's Day. I've been thinking about a memory of my dad while we lived in Utah. My mind was racing because we had a lot of good times as a family. My dad taught our family through example how important family truly is.
My Grandpa Wall had a major stroke when I was 14 years old, just a couple of years after my Grandma Wall died. He was placed in a rest home near our house. My dad would visit his dad every day on his way home from work. Every weekend, we visited my Grandpa as a family. My Grandpa was unable to talk to us, but his sense of humor came through and we enjoyed visiting with him. My Grandpa was such a big tease and now we know where my dad got it from. My brother did his Eagle project for those residents in the rest home. We visited my Grandpa Wall just about every week. I know that it was hard for my dad to leave AZ and leave my Grandpa behind in Utah. We moved to Arizona when I was 18 years old, just 4 years after my Grandpa's stroke. I know that it was hard for my dad to move to AZ and leave my Grandpa behind in Utah. While in AZ, my dad called his sister often and checked up on his dad. When we visited Utah, we would visit my Grandpa and these are visits the ones I remember the most. I have good memories of my Grandpa before his stroke and they are very sweet memories. After my Grandpa had his stroke, we saw him more often and became closer to him through our visits. I so glad that my dad arranged it so our family would visit my Grandpa often while we lived in Utah. We saw a different side of my Grandpa that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. We know that my dad loved my Grandpa through his actions.

No comments: